RVH is focused on delivering high-quality, safe care that puts patients and their families first. Patients are at the centre of everything we do at RVH and our MY CARE philosophy puts patients and their families first. Always. Everyday. Without exception.
Effective June 11 at 10 a.m., patients admitted to #RVH will be allowed one visitor, once a week, for one hour during specific, pre-booked times.
All patients and visitors are now required to wear a hospital-issued mask which will be given to you upon entry to the building. Masks must:
- Always cover your nose and mouth.
- Fit snugly against your face.
Designated visitors can schedule their visit with the patient’s care team by calling the inpatient unit. All visits must be scheduled by 6 a.m. the day of the visit.
Dial 705-728-9090 then enter the inpatient unit extension:
- Adult Mental Health Inpatient: ext. 47250
- Cancer & Palliative Inpatient: ext. 43311
- Cardiac Care Unit (CCU): ext. 47660
- Cardiac & Renal: ext.46111
- Child & Youth Mental Health Inpatient: ext. 47222
- Integrated Stroke & Rehabilitation Inpatient Unit: ext. 47350
- Intensive Care Unit (ICU): ext. 47620
- Respiratory Inpatient: ext. 48220
- Specialized Seniors Care: ext. 47330
- Surgery 2 Inpatient: ext. 46888
- Surgery 3 Inpatient: ext. 46440
- Transitional Care Inpatient Unit: ext. 48266
Step 1 permits one visitor, once a week for one hour during specific, pre-booked blocks of time.
The visitation plan includes the following protocols:
- Each admitted patient will identify one visitor (minimum 16 years of age) and an alternate visitor.
- Visiting times will be scheduled with the inpatient unit by 6 a.m. on the day of the visit or the day prior.
- Daily visitation blocks; 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. or 5 to 8 p.m. daily. Visits will be limited to one hour at a time.
- Mental Health visiting hours are 4 to 8 p.m. Visits will be limited to one hour at a time.
- All visitors will be screened for COVID-19 symptoms and those who fail screening will be denied entry to the health centre.
- Visitors must wear a hospital issued mask at all times. Cloth masks or any other face covering brought from home will not be accepted.
- To ensure safe physical distancing all visitors must maintain at least two metres distance between patients and members of the care team at all times.
- Visitors must follow safety precautions such as hand-washing and wearing of Personal Protective Equipment, if required.
- Visitors must go directly to and from the unit they are visiting and should not use common areas of the building, other than designated washrooms.
- Ambulatory patients coming for an outpatient procedure or clinic visit will be allowed one essential support person if assistance is needed. That support person should be identified at the time the appointment/treatment is booked. Visitors in Emergency department are permitted at the discretion of the care team.
For more information contact your care team.
Visitors will use the Main entrance, unless directed otherwise, and must adhere to the following criteria:
- Visitors will be screened upon entry. Visitors who are unwell will not be permitted inside RVH.
- Visitors will be asked to present identification.
- Visitors will be given a sticker to identify them as an approved visitor.
- Visitors will be required to wear a mask.
- Visitors must maintain physical distancing of 2 metres or 6 feet.
- Visitors must wash their hands frequently
- Visitors must follow safety precautions directed by screeners and care teams.
- Visitors must go to and from the unit they are visiting – NO in and out privileges.
- Visits cannot exceed one hour.
- Only one visitor in a shared patient room at a time.
Anyone exhibiting the following signs or symptoms will not be permitted inside the health centre:
- Fever, cough, difficulty breathing, difficulty swallowing, sore throat, runny nose, loss of taste or smell, nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea.
- Anyone who is known or suspected COVID-19 positive and has not been cleared by Public Health.
- Anyone who is a contact of a known COVID-19 positive individual.
- Has travelled in the past 14 days outside of Canada.
*Subject to change without notice, some exceptions apply.
Helping you during your visit
Note: Information desks are not currently operating.
Information desks are located at the Main, Atrium and Simcoe entrances. RVH volunteers are available at Information Desks to assist patients and visitors by providing directions or helping to locate patients.
Information Desk Volunteer Hours:
Hours are subject to change based on volunteer availability
Information Desk Locations
- Main entrance – Level 2
- Atrium entrance – Level 2
- Cancer program – Level 2
- Simcoe entrance – Level 1
RVH offers assistive equipment to accommodate our patients and visitors with reduced mobility. Please ask a volunteer at any information desk for assistance. They can help by providing you with:
Staxi chairs are available at the Main, Atrium and Simcoe (level 1) entrances.
The chair features a fail-safe braking system – the chair will only move when the brake is engaged by the person pushing the chair from behind. The patient can easily enter from the side and the height of the back of the chair is designed to afford the person pushing a comfortable position to engage the chair, reducing stress on their back.
Traditional wheelchairs are available at Information desks at the Main, Atrium and Simcoe (level 1) entrances for patients who require leg extensions, oxygen tank holders, IV pumps or the ability to navigate in the chairs by themselves.