General paediatric consults are completed by a Paediatrician/Neonatologist. The Paediatricians/Neonatologists see approximately 2,200 children annually within the outpatient program. The Paediatricans will see their patients in the hospital's Outpatient Child & Youth Treatment Clinic while they are on call so they are readily available to all of their patients.
Patients must be referred to the Paediatricians' outpatient consult clinic by their Family Physicians, or other Physicians they are under the care of. Patients register at Central Registration area on the second floor of the hospital and then directed to the first floor Outpatient Child & Youth Treatment Clinic for their visit.
Heather Davis, Manager, Newborn Intensive Care Unit (NICU) & Paediatric Inpatient Unit
Phone: 705-728-9090 Ext. 46450
Rhea Taplin, Manager, Child & Youth Ambulatory Care
Phone: 705-728-9090 Ext. 47116
CDS Intake 705-739-5696 or 1-800-675-1979
Location: Outpatient Child & Youth Treatment Clinic is located on the first floor of the Royal Victoria Regional Health Centre.
Inpatient Paediatrics Unit and the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit are located on the 4th floor. From the Main Entrance follow the Blue Navigation Line to the Atrium (Orange) Elevator. Take the elevator to the fourth floor and turn right.
|Children Development Services |||
7 LocationsHours of Operation: Monday to Friday
• Please call 705-797-2395 for more information
Instruct the Referring Physician to fax the completed referral form to 705-739-5674
- Once received a Patient Service Clerk will call to book your appointment •
Asthma Clinic - Paediatric
• Please call 705-728-9090 ext.47463 for more information
• A Doctor's referral is required
• Instruct the Referring Physicians to fax the completed referral form to 705-739-5674
• Bring aero chamber and any medications, puffers, and/or inhalers to your appointment
• Bring your Health Card to your apppointment
• When you are coming for your first appointment, please register at Central Registration on the second floor beside the Victoria's Gift Shop
If you are returning for additional appointments, please register at Recurring Central Registration on the first floor by the Outpatient Child & Youth Treatment Clinic •
Location: 201 Georgian Drive, 1st Floor in the Outpatient Child & Youth Treatment Clinic
Hours of Operation
Monday - Friday 8:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Audiologists are skilled professionals who assess for and rehabilitate hearing problems for people of all ages. The Audiologists perform hearing assessments, hearing aid evaluations, and electronystagmography.
A Physicians referral is required. Please fax to 705-739-5674
Once received a Patient Service Clerk will call you to book your appointment.
ENT assessment requires specialist referral and access is restricted to residents of Simcoe County.
Blind Low Vision Program
This program supports infants and preschool children who are blind or have low vision with services to support healthy development. When low vision/blindness is suspected and families are having challenges accessing a diagnosis the program will attempt to assist the family in accessing the necessary service. Services include:
• Child assessment
• Child and family intervention services
• Childcare consultation provided by an Early Childhood Vision Consultant
Diabetes Clinic - Paediatrics
For information please phone (705) 797-2395.
- Paediatric Diabetes Clinic requires a Physician referral
- For first time visit, please register at Central Registration which is located on the second floor by the Victoria Gift Shop.
- For ongoing visits, please register at Recurring Central Registration which is located on the first floor, same hallway at the clinic.
- The Paediatric Diabetes team consists of a Paediatrician, Registered Nurse, Registered Dietitian, and a Social Worker.
The Feeding Clinic provides assessment and treatment recommendations for children with significant feeding, swallowing and nutritional difficulties. The feeding assessment is done by a team that may include a Speech-Language Pathologist, Occupational Therapist, and/or Dietitian. Where appropriate, the assessment may include a video fluoroscopic swallow study that is conducted in RVH's diagnostic imaging department. A Physician referral is required to access this service.
Note: This is not an emergency service. You should see your Physician or local hospital emergency department if a child's life is at risk.
The Feeding Clinic should be considered if your child has:
• Suspected aspiration due to history of recurrent pneumonia or chest infections
• Difficulty swallowing as a result of a sudden change in medical status
• Sudden refusal of all previously accepted foods putting the child at risk for dehydration or weight loss
• Re-establishing oral feeding after a recent hospitalization
• Nutrition and growth concerns
• Motor or neurological involvement
• Difficulties meeting nutritional needs and is younger than 12 months
• Less growth than expected as assessed by a Physician
What you need to do to obtain this service:
• A Physician referral will be required to access the Feeding Clinic
• Speak to a member of your Early Intervention team and your Physician
• If you do not have a physician or Early Intervention provider, please call Children's Treatment
Network at 1-866-377-0286
Who provides this service?
• Children's Development Services, RVH 705-739-5696 or 1-800-675-1979
• Children's Treatment Network 1-866-377-0286
Hearing Instrument Dispensary
The Hearing Instrument Dispenser sells, services, and repairs hearing aids and FM systems. The Hearing Instrument Dispenser also provides counseling for hearing aid users and assists families in coping with the effects of hearing loss. Referrals can be through the Family Physician, Audiologist, family member, and/or the individual.
Royal Victoria Regional Health Centre
201 Georgian Drive, Barrie
Phone: (705) 728-9090 ext 47124
Location: Outpatient Child & Youth Treatment Clinic which is located on the first floor.
Hours of Operation
RVH: Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Infant Hearing Program
Infant hearing screens are done in the community. You will receive a call from the Infant Hearing Program intake to book your community screen approximately 2 weeks after birth.
For information regarding this clinic please call 705-728-9090 ext 47511
Hours of operation: 7 days per week from 10:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
For newborn babies that are at risk for jaundice. Take the Atrium Elevators to the 4th floor return right to Inpatient Paediatrics Unit (4SA). This is a locked unit therefore you will have to buzz in. The Maternal Newborn Clinic is located through those locked doors, first door on your right hand side. In here you will register with the Patient Service Clerk for this appointment. At 10:30 a.m. a Phlebotomist from the Laboratory will come up to draw the Bilirubin Blood Test. Laboratory tests take about one hour until we have the results. Once the results are in from the Laboratory the Paediatrican and/or Registered Nurse will see you and your baby.
Neonatal Follow Up Clinic
Phone: 705-739-5696 or 1-800-675-1979
Providing follow up services to low birth weight and high risk infants cared for in RVH's Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU). The clinic contributes to the care provided in the NICU through regular developmental monitoring, recommendations, and early referral for intervention when necessary.
Infants are referred through RVH's NICU. The team consists of a Physiotherapist, Occupational Therapist, Speech Language Pathologist, Registered Nurse, and Paediatrician/Neonataologist.
Paediatric Endocrinology Clinic
Paediatric Eating Disorders
Referrals for this program are accepted until the age of 17.5. A referral package (obtained from our office) must be filled out by the Physician and faxed to 705-739-5674 for the Nurse Practitioner to screen. For information regarding this program please call 705-797-2395.
The team consists of a Paediatric Nurse Practitioner, Registered Dietitian, and two Therapist all of whom specialize in Paediatric Eating Disorders.
Initial Assessment in this clinic consist of a 4 hour appointment with the whole team, bloodwork, and an electrocardiogram.
Respiratory Syncytial Virus (RSV) Clinic (Seasonal)
This clinic runs from the end of November until the end of March.
Requirements: A Physician referral, the infant must meet the criteria, and Ministry of Health approval.
For information regarding this clinic please call 705-797-2395
Other Clinics Available
• Endocrinology Clinic
• Complex Care Clinic
• Paediatric Cardio Clinic (Echocardiograms)
• Paediatric Autism Clinic
• Paediatric Physiotherapy Clinic
Paediatric Diet Consults •
• Paediatric Neurology Clinic
- Paediatric IVIG/Infusion Treatments •